Afghanistan

NATO soldier killed in Taliban attack in southern Afghanistan

NATO soldier killed in Taliban attack in southern Afghanistan Kabul - Taliban insurgents killed one NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan, while an ambush on a NATO supply convoy left 10 militants and five Afghan security guards dead, officials said Saturday.

The soldier, whose nationality was withheld by the coalition's statement, was killed when his patrol was attacked by insurgents on Friday.

The statement did not provide details about the exact location of the incident.

War on terror: ‘Pakistan did not agree to new US rules of engagement’

Lahore, Sep 13: New rules of engagement authorising United States ground attacks inside Pakistan, signed by President George W Bush in July, were not agreed to by Islamabad, American and Pakistani officials have said.

Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Kayani was informed last month by senior US defence officials that if Pakistan failed to stem the flow of Taliban and other terrorist fighters into Afghanistan, the US would adopt a new strategy – one allowing ground strikes on targeted insurgent encampments.

The Washington Post quoted a senior Pakistani official as saying that General Kayani believed the strategy was still under discussion and that Pakistan’s counterinsurgency performance was improving.

Afghan provincial governor killed in roadside bomb attack

Afghan provincial governor killed in roadside bomb attack Kabul - An Afghan provincial governor for southern Logar province was killed when his vehicle was blown up by a roadside bomb on Saturday, police said.

Abdullah Wardak and three of his bodyguards were killed in Paghman district of Kabul province on their way to Logar, some 40 kilometres south of Kabul city, said Abdul Razaaq, police chief of the district.

"It was around 8:00 am (0330 GMT) that a roadside bomb was remotely detonated when the governor's vehicle was passing by," Razaaq said.

Ten Taliban killed by coalition targeting Afghan rebel commanders

AfghanistanKabul - The US-led coalition said Friday that its forces killed more than 10 Taliban militants and detained two in operations targeting two rebel commanders in eastern Afghanistan.

The militants were killed Thursday in a raid against a Taliban subcommander in the Tag Aab district of the north-eastern province of Kapisa, the US military said in a statement.

"Coalition forces were engaged with small-arms fire from multiple groups of armed militants as they entered a compound," it said, adding, "The force returned fire, killing the militants."

Pak Taliban suicide bombers raring to attack in every nook and corner of Pak, Afghan

Pak Taliban suicide bombers raring to attack in every nook and corner of Pak, AfghanBajaur Agency (Pakistan), Sept 12 : Well-trained suicide bombers are waiting to carry out suicide attacks in every nook and corner of Pakistan, and some of them have even crossed the Pak-Afghan border to attack the US-led coalition forces there, said a top Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) commander Maulvi Umar in a videotaped interview to be telecast on a Pakistan-based TV channel.

The interview was conducted at an undisclosed location somewhere in the Bajaur Agency in FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas).

US on ‘edge of historical defeat’ in Afghanistan: Taliban

Kabul, Sep 12 : Afghanistan’s insurgent Taliban movement said that the United States was on the “edge of an historical defeat” in Afghanistan, seven years after invading following the 9/11 attacks.

In a statement released to mark the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US, the Taliban reiterated their rhetoric that the West was leading a “crusade” in Afghanistan.

The US had not realised that there were “so many guardians of Islam who will guard God’s religion and its values”, said the statement e-mailed to the media.

It asked what US President George W Bush and his North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) allies had achieved in the seven years since they had invaded Afghanistan to topple the Taliban government in 2001.

Pages