EU calls off accession meeting with Croatia over border row

EU calls off accession meeting with Croatia over border row Prague - The Czech Republic's presidency of the European Union said Wednesday it cancelled an upcoming accession conference with Croatia over the Balkan country's border row with EU member Slovenia.

The presidency postponed the meeting, planned for Friday in Brussels, for the third time as the two countries have so far failed to settle the dispute, which is effectively blocking Croatia's EU entry.

The dispute centres on a stretch of border at the coastal town of Piran and access rights to the Adriatic Sea.

"Despite substantial efforts to facilitate a solution to the countrys border dispute with Slovenia, Croatias accession talks remain blocked and no new chapters can be formally opened or closed," the Czech EU presidency said in a statement.

Croatia is ready to close two chapters and open another two but the border row hinders any progress, the presidency said.

The European Commission's efforts to broker a deal between the two countries have so far proved fruitless.

"The border dispute remains a bilateral issue only Slovenia and Croatia can resolve," the presidency said. (dpa)