Ji Yue 01 debuts as Geely & Baidu JV’s first production EV

Ji Yue 01 debuts as Geely & Baidu JV’s first production EV

Ji Yue, a joint venture (JV) between Chinese automakers Geely Holding Group and Baidu Incorporated, has officially announced the debut of its first production EV, which is called the Ji Yue 01.

The Ji Yue JV, which was previously referred to as Jidu Auto, was set up on 9th of August this year. It has been described as a premium intelligent automotive technology brand that has come into existence to provide a matchless intelligent automotive experience. Geely holds 65 per cent of the newly launched JV, while Baidu owns the remaining 35 per cent.

As already mentioned above, the Ji Yue 01 EV is the JV’s first product. Actually, it is the production version of the previously unveiled Jidu Robo-01 concept, which was unwrapped in June last year. It resembles to the concept car on the outside. However, we can't say if the interior is the same because the JV hasn’t revealed the details yet.

In a joint statement, Geely and Baidu said, “The flagship 01 model aims to redefine the concept of intelligent mobility, serving the preferences of tech-orientated consumers in China for autonomous mobility solutions."

The EV will blend Geely’s Sustainable Experience Architecture (SEA), manufacturing expertise and reputable supply chain with Baidu’s leading-edge artificial intelligence (AI) technologies, which includes cutting-edge intelligent cabins and self-governing driving system. The first product of the JV is undoubtedly going to be an interesting vehicle, and the images released by the two partners are proof of that.

The images show the new EV as a crossover SUV, with spotless surfaces and sleek features, including plunged hood, optimized rims, and sloping roofline that ends with a substantial roof spoiler.

China's Ministry of Industry & Information Technology (MIIT) has also released some of the specs of the new EV as part of a homologation filing that was later shared with some media outlets. According to available information, the Ji Yue 01 SUV’s single-motor powertrain will offer a 200-kilowatt (roughly 268 hp), while the dual-motor setup will offer 400-kW (roughly 536 hp). Both versions will get power from a ternary lithium battery pack supplied by CATL. The homologation filing also states that the JV has plans to launch a variant powered by a lithium iron phosphate battery, which will be supplied by Honeycomb Energy. Unfortunately, nothing has been revealed about the range or performance ratings of the vehicles.

Business News: