DFB to probe flares incident at Frankfurt-Nuremberg match
Frankfurt - Nuremberg's first Bundesliga win of the year was spoilt by their misbehaving fans whose throwing of flares and fire crackers onto the Frankfurt pitch will prompt an official probe.
Nuremberg officials distanced themselves from the troublemakers amid fears on Sunday the relegation-threatened club could face a home field ban or a point deduction on top of a fine. Frankfurt as hosts also face punishment.
"There will be investigations against both clubs. Many things are possible," Rainer Koch, a vice-president of the ruling body DFB who is responsible for legal issues, told DSF television on Sunday.
The objects thrown from the Nuremberg section of the stands led to an interruption of 20 minutes late in the first half of the match Nuremberg went on to win 3-1.
A massive police presence allowed the match to be completed, but referee Peter Gagelmann said "I would have ended the match if just one more flare or cracker had been thrown."
Nuremberg general manager Martin Bader expressed his hope that the real club fans would take action and report the troublemakers, but he admitted he fears the worst concerning DFB sanctions.
Frankfurt chairman Heribert Bruchhagen acknowledged that security measures need to be improved. Patrick Meyer, boss of the Commerzbank- Arena where the match took place, admitted that at least the flare should have been detected at pre-match security checks.
The DFB had only recently imposed heavy fines on VfB Stuttgart and SC Karlsruhe after flares were set off during their Bundesliga match.
Frankfurt police also announced on Sunday that 22 Nuremberg fans were taken into temporary custody after misbehaving at the city's central station ahead of the match. (dpa)