1967 murderer's parole to be contested by victim’s survivor

1967 murderer's parole to be contested by victim’s survivorThey will contest the parole of one of the convicted killers at an upcoming hearing, say the survivors of two Illinois police officers murdered in 1967.

The Chicago Tribune reported on Wednesday that Henry Michael Gargano, now 77, and two other men killed Northlake police Detective Sgt. John Nagle and Officer Anthony Perri and wounded two other officers in the course of a bank robbery on Oct. 27, 1967.

They had not been informed the U. S. Parole Commission intended to release Gargano from his 199-year sentence Sept. 3, Northlake police and relatives of the two dead officers have said.

According to Johanna Markind, a lawyer for the federal parole commission, no family members of Gargano's victims had been registered with the Bureau of Prisons, so no one was notified.

The Tribune has reported that due to the survivors' protest, the parole board has put Gargano's parole under "special reconsideration," a process leading up to another hearing, tentatively set for early August.

Northlake Deputy Police Chief Norman Nissen Jr. and others in the community have collected more than 6,000 signatures on petitions opposing the release and started a Facebook group to combat it. They filed a nearly 200-page affidavit calling for the parole commission to reconsider its decision.

Nagle's son Robert, 49 said, "If he would show some level of remorse, any human decency, it would be easier to take."

Gargano "will not engage in further criminal activity and … that the evidence of this is his clear conduct for the past 10 years and his advance in age and poor health," said a parole board report. (With Inputs from Agencies)