Kabul - Gunmen killed a senior provincial official in southern Afghanistan while a US-led coalition soldier was killed and several others were wounded in a roadside bomb attack in the same region, officials said Tuesday.
Elsewhere in the country an Afghan army soldier and 11 Taliban militants were killed in separate incidents.
Peshawar, Oct 14 : Police in Mohamand Agency in FATA claimed to have arrested an American national, said to be of Afghan descent, while trying to illegally enter the Agency. He was reportedly carrying a laptop, maps and other documents.
“We have arrested an American national at Yakaghund checkpost with a computer, some maps and other documents while crossing into Mohmand,” the Daily Times quoted sources as saying.
Kabul, Oct. 13 : The American commander of the NATO forces in Afghanistan, Major General David D. McKiernan, has expressed confidence about winning the war against the Taliban.
General McKiernan, who leads more than 65,000 troops from about 40 foreign countries, including 33,000 Americans, said at a news conference in Kabul that there had been “too many” reports in the media recently asserting that the foreign forces and their Afghan allies were losing the war.
Kabul - A woman and a child were killed in a rocket attack in eastern Afghanistan, while two Afghan private security guards and five suspected Taliban militants were killed elsewhere in the country, officials said Monday.
The woman, 55, and a 14-year-old boy were killed when a rocket fired allegedly by Taliban fighters hit their house in Khost city Sunday, Khost province police chief General Abdul Qayoum said.
Qayoum said two other children were wounded in the rocket attack that he blamed on Taliban militants.
Karachi, Oct 13 : More than 400,000 Afghan nationals have arrived in Karachi, fully equipped with latest automatic weapons, MQM (Muttahidda Qaumi Movement) chief Altaf Hussain has claimed.
“These intruders have entered the city with an intention to occupy the whole of Sindh but the MQM is determined to oppose the Taliban, Al Qaeda and other jihadi elements and religious extremists,” the Daily Times quoted Hussain as saying in London.
Condemning suicide bombers, he said that their actions had defamed Islam worldwide.
He said that MQM workers would defend the citizens of Karachi against the 400,000 Afghans and Taliban in accordance with the United Nations Charter and the shariah.