California’s plug-in car segment outperforms general car market in Q2 2023

California’s plug-in car segment outperforms general car market in Q2 2023

The growth in California’s plug-in electric car segment (specifically, BEV segment) outperformed the general car market in the second quarter (Q2) of this year, data compiled and published by the California New Car Dealers Association (CNCDA) revealed.

The newly published data also revealed that some 220,624 new plug-in cars were sold or registered in California during the first half (H1) of 2023, which accounts for more than 24 per cent of the state’s total car market. Year-over-year growth, the growth is estimated at slightly more than 40 per cent.

During the first six months of this year, slightly more than 191,000 battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) and 29,583 plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) were registered, which accounted for slightly more than 21 per cent of the market and 3.3 per cent of the market.

Using the aforementioned year-to-date (YTD) figures and the first quarter (Q1) results, we estimated that new plug-in car registrations in Q2 were quite solid. More than 100,000 BEVs were registered in a single quarter for the very first time in the Golden State’s history.

On the other hand, a considerable decline was noted in the non-rechargeable hybrid segment. This segment suffered a substantial decline in registrations to around 38,600 units.

To be more specific, California’s plug-in electric car registrations in Q2 2023 includes 103,516 units of BEVs (22.7 per cent share) and 13,113 units of PHEVs (2.9 per cent share). Thus, total plug-in registrations jumped to 116,629 units (25.6 per cent share). Inclusion of 38,629 units of HEVs takes the total plug-in car registrations (xEVs) to 155,258 units, which accounts for 34.1 per cent share of the market.

So far this year, nearly 308,000 electrified vehicles were registered in the state (34 per cent of the total volume), including roughly 220,600 rechargeable ones (24 per cent of the total volume). More precisely, YTD data includes 191,041 units of BEVs (21.1 per cent share and 29,583 units (3.3 per cent share). Total plug-in car registrations settled at 220,624 units (24.4 per cent share). Inclusion of 88,309 HEV registrations takes total xEVs 308,933, which accounts for 9.8 per cent of the total car market.

When it comes to top electric models, the Tesla Model Y grabbed the top spot with 74,765 units registered during the period. The Tesla Model 3 and Chevrolet Bolt EV/Bolt EUV grabbed the second and third positions, with 41,718 and 10,868 units registered, respectively.

Business News: 
Technology Update: