Vienna - A member of an autistic persons' self-help group shot a woman member dead and then turned the gun on himself in a Viennese self-help centre, police said Saturday.
A spokeswoman said the shooting happened at a weekly meeting of the five-strong group late Friday, when the man suddenly produced the gun and shot the woman without any warning or obvious reason.
As other group members scattered to safety, the gunman killed himself.
A major police turnout including a negotiating team was called to the incident after initial reports spoke of a hostage-taking situation, the spokeswoman said.
However, by the time police arrived, all they found were the two bodies and the rest of the group in a state of shock. Police inquiries centred on a motive for the shooting. (dpa)
- Toshiba, United Technologies ink agreement for global growth in HVAC solutions
- Google offers artificial personal assistant for users ready to give up personal info
- Apple launches iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus in India
- Google profits plunges 5 percent YOY, in Q3
- HCL Technologies Q1 Net up 32.3% at Rs 1,873 crore