Vienna - A member of an autistic persons' self-help group shot a woman member dead and then turned the gun on himself in a Viennese self-help centre, police said Saturday.
A spokeswoman said the shooting happened at a weekly meeting of the five-strong group late Friday, when the man suddenly produced the gun and shot the woman without any warning or obvious reason.
As other group members scattered to safety, the gunman killed himself.
A major police turnout including a negotiating team was called to the incident after initial reports spoke of a hostage-taking situation, the spokeswoman said.
However, by the time police arrived, all they found were the two bodies and the rest of the group in a state of shock. Police inquiries centred on a motive for the shooting. (dpa)
- Twitter beats Facebook for 'best tech company to work for' title in 2014
- Microsoft launches tool to charm Gmail users to Outlook
- Twitter adds media lingo, synonyms for ad firms to better target users
- Samsung loses patent lawsuit in South Korea against Apple
- Yahoo acquires video streaming startup QuikIO