Vienna - A member of an autistic persons' self-help group shot a woman member dead and then turned the gun on himself in a Viennese self-help centre, police said Saturday.
A spokeswoman said the shooting happened at a weekly meeting of the five-strong group late Friday, when the man suddenly produced the gun and shot the woman without any warning or obvious reason.
As other group members scattered to safety, the gunman killed himself.
A major police turnout including a negotiating team was called to the incident after initial reports spoke of a hostage-taking situation, the spokeswoman said.
However, by the time police arrived, all they found were the two bodies and the rest of the group in a state of shock. Police inquiries centred on a motive for the shooting. (dpa)
- Reportedly Pfizer and Allergan Considering a Combination
- Ted Cruz Unveils Flat Tax Plan, Says it will Spur Economic Growth
- Samsung’s Business Moving in the Right Direction; Quarterly Profits Surpass Estimates
- Feds December Rate Hike Agenda Pushes Dollar to 2-1/2-months High
- Comcast Corp Reports Gain in Q3 Revenue