Johannesburg, Jan 3 : South Africa fast bowler Dale Steyn became the third fastest bowler to pick 300 wickets in Test cricket when he bowled Doug Bracewell in the first session of the first Test against New Zealand at Newlands on Wednesday.
Steyn was playing in his 61st Test. Only Australia''s Dennis Lillee, who achieved the feat in his 56th Test, and Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka (58) have reached the milestone in fewer matches, Sport24 reports.
Steyn, currently the world''s number one ranked Test bowler, joined West Indian Malcolm Marshall and New Zealand''s Richard Hadlee in taking 300 wickets in 61 matches.
Proteas captain Graeme Smith hailed Steyn's feat as unbelievable, and branded the fiery pace man as their go to guy who always gets them vital wickets at the right time.
Smith added that Steyn is the type of player every captain wants in his team, and his presence in the Proteas squad is an asset.
Steyn had to wait until the third ball of his second spell to take his first wicket of the match and was overshadowed by new ball partner Vernon Philander who took the first five wickets at a cost of four runs.
Steyn''s strike reduced the tourists to 31 for seven after they won the toss, before being bowled out for a measly 45 in the first innings. (ANI)
- Microsoft has most partner friendly approach, says Satya Nadella
- Windows 9 will be free update for Windows 8 users
- Apple says vast majority of OS X users unaffected by 'Shellshock' bug
- Apple calls complaints of bent iPhones extremely 'rare' phenomenon in its defence
- Google Glass doesn't make texting safer behind the wheel