Miami, March 21 : India's Somdev Devvarman came back from a set down to make his way to the second round of the ATP Miami Masters tennis tournament here.
Somdev beat Russia's Evgeny Donskoy 4-7, 7-6 (5), 6-2 here Wednesday.
The 254th ranked Indian will now take on World No. 34 Feliciano Lopez of Spain, who got a bye in his opening round.
Somdev, who recently returned to the tennis circuit after a shoulder injury saved six break points but still failed to finish off his Russian opponent, who eventually took the set.
The second set was a much closer affair as the two players traded with the Indian levelling the match 1-1 after winning the tie-breaker.
In the third, the Indian was again put under tremendous pressure and had to save three break points to stay in the match. However, Somdev managed to convert two of the five breaks on offer on the Russian's serve and then closed out the set and match without anymore jitters.(IANS)
- Scientists say death of a partner may cause an actual ‘heartbreak’
- Trump Criticizes Ford’s Move of Building a New Assembly Plant in Mexico
- Reportedly Pfizer and Allergan Plan to End Merger Deal with New Stricter Tax Rules
- Dollar Close to Its Seventeen Month Low Against the Yen
- Iceland’s Prime Minister Resigns after Panama Paper Leak