Residents of Wisconsin and Minnesota have been warned not to eat Jack & The Green sprouts as they have been found linked to E. coli outbreak. At least nine individuals have fallen ill after eating alfalfa sprouts, as per health officials.
Now, there are reports that alfalfa sprouts of the Jack & The Green are still available at retail. Sprouts have a longer shelf life than you might expect. “We are concerned that these alfalfa sprouts may still be out there in stores or people’s homes”, said Amy Saupe, foodborne illness epidemiologist.
The Minnesota Department of Health said that the first case of illness due to the contaminated sprouts was reported on February 1. After that, the company announced to recall all the products that could cause sickness. But, the department’s officials believe many alfalfa sprout packages are still available at some retail stores.
Saupe said nine cases have been linked to the latest E. coli outbreak. Seven people have fallen ill in Minnesota, while two are from Wisconsin, Saupe added. DNA of all of the infected people showed that they were infected with the same strain of E. coli, the epidemiologist continued. Two people from Minnesota who reported illness required hospitalization. All the nine sufferers have recovered, as per statements by the authorities.
The health department of Minnesota issued a warning in which it said that latest seven E. coli outbreak victims in the state were exposed to implicated alfalfa sprouts from different locations, including restaurants, cooperative stores, commercial food service and salad bars. The department also advised people not to eat Jack & The Green sprouts.
Health officials think that the latest outbreak could be more widespread because Jack & The Green Sprouts sells its sprouts to many regions.