Rome

Totti extends contract with Roma

Francesco-TottiRome, Sep 21 : Italian football star Francesco Totti has extended his contract with AS Romo until June 2016.

The iconic player signed the deal with club president James Pallotta at the start of a news conference Friday, reports Xinhua.

"I want to really thank the president for giving me the opportunity to keep wearing the shirt that I have always supported and always loved," Totti said.

"Everyone wanted it to happen, me and the club."

Berlusconi threatens to bring down Italian government

Silvio-BerlusconiRome, Aug 10 : Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, whose conservative People of Freedom party (PdL) supports the coalition government, has warned he would pull out unless a controversial property tax worth billions of euros annually is scrapped.

Eliminating the IMU (imposta municipal unica) property tax on people's first homes was a "battle for freedom", Berlusconi said.

He claimed that abolishing the tax would provide a stimulus to Italy's ailing economy by leaving money in the pockets of homeowners.

Llorente set to join Juventus

Fernando-LlorenteRome, July 1 : Spanish striker Fernando Llorente is scheduled to arrive in Turin on Monday to join Juventus as a free agent, the Italian Serie A football champions said.

The 28-year-old Llorente scored 85 goals from 262 Liga games over eight seasons with Spanish club Athletic Bilbao.

Llorente is Juventus' second new striker after the last week arrival of Argentine Carlos Tevez from Manchester City.(IANS)

Italy to continue Afghan commitment after 2014: Defence minister

Mario-MauroRome, June 12 :  The new Italian government will continue its participation in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) mission in Afghanistan until 2014 and afterwards will commit to training of the Afghan forces, Defense Minister Mario Mauro said Wednesday.

The Italian government intends to "continue its participation in the ISAF mission in Afghanistan ending it as scheduled in 2014," the minister said, reported Xinhua.

Scientists develop 'skin' for robots

RobotsRome, May 25 : European scientists have engineered artificial skins and sensor technologies to augment "sensitivity" in robots, says a study.

The new capabilities, and a production system for building touch-sensitivity into different robots, will improve the way robots work in unconstrained settings, as well as their ability to communicate and cooperate with each other and with humans, reports Science Daily.

Mazzarri quits Napoli with next destination undecided

Walter-MazzarriRome, May 20 : Walter Mazzarri announced that he has decided to quit as Napoli head coach and will be ready to evaluate offers from other clubs.

"I have ended my era here at Napoli," Mazzarri said after his side lost away to Roma 1-2 Sunday, reports Xinhua.

"I had already made the decision some time ago. I thank the president and director Riccardo Bigon for trying to change my mind to the last minute. I had considered this last summer, which is why I turned down a contract extension, and that was a risk considering I didn' t know how this season was going to go," he said.

Sharapova pulls out of Rome meet to boost French Open chances

Maria-SharapovaRome, May 17 : World No. 2 Maria Sharapova admitted Friday that the upcoming French Open played a part in her decision to pull out of the Rome Masters.

Sharapova withdrew citing illness Friday, hours before she was due to play world No. 6 Sara Errani in the Rome quarterfinals.

"I usually don’t withdraw from tournament and all the competitions I play in mean a lot to me, but in the run-up to the French Open you have to take the right decisions,” she told R-Sport.

Federer, Djokovic, Nadal reach quarters in Rome

Djokovic-Nadal-FedererRome, May 17 : Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic brushed aside their opponents to reach the quarter-finals while Rafael Nadal was made to sweat before reaching the final eight of the Rome Masters here.

Second seed Roger Federer saw off the challenge from French Gilles Simon 6-1, 6-2 to continue his pursuit of a maiden final in 2013. He will now play Jerzy Janowicz, who beat Richard Gasquet 3-6, 7-6(2), 6-4 Thursday, Xinhua reports.

World no. 1 Djokovic dispatched Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-1, 6-4.

Murray bows out, Nadal advances

Andy-MurrayRome, May 16 : Third seed Andy Murray pulled out of the Rome Masters due to an injury as Rafael Nadal advanced to the third round.

Fifth seed Nadal beat local hope Fabio Fognini 6-1, 6-3 to kick off his quest for his seventh ATP title of the season winning 74 percent of his service points and breaking his 25th-ranked opponent five times Wednesday, reports Xinhua.

Murray required treatment for a lower back injury midway through the second set of the match against Marcel Granollers. Then he decided to retire.

Sania-Bethanie in Round 2 of Rome Masters

Sania-BethanieRome, May 15 : Women's doubles sixth seeds of Sania Mirza and Bethanie Mattek-Sands reached the second round of the Rome Masters here.

The Indo-American pair beat Japanese-Latvian duo of Shuko Aoyama and Liga Dekmeijere 6-1, 6-3 in 58 minutes Tuesday. The winners broke their opponents five times in the match.

They will face Italian-Australian unseeded pair Francesca Schiavone and Samantha Stosur late Wednesday.

India's Leander Paes will also play his men's doubles match with Jurgen Melzer of Austria against the Mexico-American pair of Santiago Gonzalez and Scott Lipsky.(IANS)

Juventus' Pogba banned for three games

Juventus' Pogba banned for three gamesRome, May 7 - Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba's season is over as he has been banned for three games following his dismissal against Palermo in a Italian Serie A football match.

Given that there are just three games left this term, the former Manchester United youngster's campaign has been brought to a premature end, Monday, reports Xinhua.

The 20-year-old French was expected to receive a heavy punishment after he was sent off for spitting on Palermo stopper Salvatore Aronica, Sunday. (IANS)

AC Milan not to sell Shaarawy

Adriano-GallianiRome, April 29 : AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani has confirmed that they will not sell rising star Stephan El Shaarawy at the end of this season.

Local media reported Sunday that English club Manchester City had offered 35 million euro for the Italian striker, reports Xinhua.

"There may or may not be something... Clearly this is a 20-year-old player who is already in the senior Italy squad and has scored numerous goals, so he is hot property on the transfer market," said Galliani.

Inter to play final four games to death, says Stramaccioni

Andrea-StramaccioniRome, April 29 : Inter Milan head coach Andrea Stramaccioni has vowed that his side will play the final four games of this Italian Serie A season to death following their 0-1 defeat at Palermo.

"As for the game, we conceded a goal on our mistake, then gave it everything we had and created the chances to equalise, even if we didn't have many options in attack," Stramaccioni said of the defeat Sunday, reports Xinhua

At this rate, Inter may well fail to qualify for Europe altogether, as they slipped down to seventh place.

Juventus beat Milan to move closer to Serie A title

Juventus-beat-MilanRome, April 22 : Juventus held off AC Milan 1-0 at home to move within four points of their second consecutive Italian Serie A title.

In the 57th minute, Arturo Vidal converted a penalty, which was earned when Kwadwo Asamoah was barged into by Marco Amelia in the area, to give the host three precious points Sunday, reports Xinhua.

Juve need just four more points in the final five matches to retain the Scudetto and their head coach Antonio Conte claimed that this win was a big step forward toward the Serie A title.

Balotelli's ban reduced to two gamess

Mario-BalotelliRome, April 20 : AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli has had his three-match ban reduced to two on appeal, but he will still miss the crucial tie against Juventus Sunday.

The Italian international was suspended for insulting a match official during the 2-2 draw at Fiorentina two weeks ago, reports Xinhua.

The January signing was automatically banned for one game for the accumulation of yellow cards, plus two for his verbal outburst.

Milan appealed against the ban Friday and were able to reduce his initial punishment.

Rome mayor sues TV programme for mafia allegations

Rome mayor sues TV programme for mafia allegationsRome, April 16: Rome's Mayor Gianni Alemanno has launched legal proceedings against an Italian investigative TV show that claimed the mafia and crime gangs had infiltrated contracts for electric bus services and a new metro line in the capital.

Alemanno said he was suing the state broadaster Rai's programme and its presenter Milena Gabanelli for the "slanderous" allegations aired Sunday.

Ridley Scott films TV series on the Vatican

Ridley Scott films TV series on the VaticanRome, April 13 - Hollywood director Ridley Scott has filmed a TV series "The Vatican" in Rome, starring Bruno Ganz as the fictional present-day Pope Sixtus VI.

Scott, who last filmed in Rome the blockbuster "Gladiator", paid the city of Rome 50,000 euros a day to film in the area around St. Peter's Square, the Messaggero daily reported.

A crowd of tourists looked on as Scott and his crew filmed in Pius XII Square at the top of the main road that leads to St. Peter's Square.

Italy lacked intensity: Coach Prandelli

Cesare-PrandelliRome, March 27 : Italy head coach Cesare Prandelli has conceded that his side gave a patchy performance and lacked in intensity in their 2-0 win over Malta.

In-form Mario Balotelli scored both goals in the 2-0 World Cup qualifying victory Tueday and goalkeeper Gigi Buffon had to save a penalty in the first half, reports Xinhua.

"We knew there would not be spaces and were perhaps a little too slow in construction, so ran into trouble. We still maintained possession throughout the game. We lacked a bit of intensity in the finishing," said Prandelli.

Italian marine back in India appeal for unity

Massimiliano-LatorreRome, March 27 : One of two Italian marines who face homicide charges in India has urged Italian politicians to show a united front on their behalf.

"Right now, it doesn't help us to know who to blame, because it doesn't lead us anywhere, and political parties bouncing responsibility off each other is even less useful," Massimiliano Latorre wrote to a journalist, Toni Capuozzo.

"What we ask for now is not division, but that they link arms, join forces and resolve this tragedy," ANSA news agency quoted him as saying.

Dutch official to referee Malta-Italy qualifier

Serdar-GozubuyukRome, March 25 : Dutch referee Serdar Gozubuyuk has been assigned to Malta's World Cup qualifier against Italy.

Gozubuyuk, 27, is a Dutch referee of Turkish descent and hit headlines around Europe in December when he took an extraordinary measure to calm Groningen coach Robert Maskaant, reports Xinhua.

Instead of flashing a red card at the manager, the referee took off his blue 'Respect' armband and waved that at him instead.

Malta will host Italy Tuesday evening.(IANS)




Check out More news from Telecom Sector :: Pharmaceutical Sector :: Auto Sector :: Infrastructure :: Real Estate


Syndicate content