Berlin - If you come back from your vacation with red, itchy skin, it's possible that you brought back some unwanted souvenir: parasites.
Get rid of them as quickly as possible, advises the German Professional Association of Dermatologists (BVDD).
Sand fleas, for example, can be picked up in Central or South America, Africa or India. They tend to gather on a person's foot and cause red, itchy bumps. A dermatologist can remove them with a sterilised needle.
Other pests include hookworms, which need to be removed with an anti-worm medication, says the BVDD. The worms are found in tropical or subtropical regions and usually infest the skin while people lie or walk on beaches, boring through the upper layers of skin.
The presence of hookworms can often be detected via an itchy, raised, ringed red pattern on the skin. (dpa)
- Essar Oil to sign $1 billion financing co-operation deal with CDB
- ONGC may sell stakes in deep-water blocks to Shell
- Huge scope for improving Indian shale gas estimates: ONGC
- HPCL Visakha refinery suffers major fire due to short circuit
- No refills for multiple cooking gas connection holders from June 1