Pak Government-Taliban deal in Swat adds to India’s worries: Antony
New Delhi, Feb 20 : Defence Minister A. K. Antony today said that the accord between the Pakistan Government and the Taliban in the Swat region has added to India's worries.
Reacting to the Swat peace agreement, Antony said on Friday it will add to the country's worries, which are already high since the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
"From 26/11 onwards, we are very much concerned about security scenario. This development in a way, adds to our worries," said Antony.
The North West Frontier Province Government had signed a pact with Tehreek-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat Muhammadi leader Maulana Sufi Muhammad on the implementation of `Sharia' in the Swat Valley's Malakand division.
According to the agreement, Sufi Muhammad will try to build a consensus among people through his congregations in the region, while the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan
(TTP) leader Fazlullah would announce ceasefire in the Swat region.
Pakistan Army's faltering military campaign in Swat has been put on hold, and the militants have agreed to a tentative ceasefire, giving rise to fears about encouraging the Taliban into believing that they could succeed both in Pakistan and Afghanistan through militancy.
Earlier this month, the Defence minister AK Antony had termed Pakistan as the "epicentre" of global terrorism. His remarks replicated the strong words used by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and also of US President Barack Obama.
"Pakistan has become the epicentre of international terrorism," Antony said. (ANI)