New York, Jan 1 - US stocks were mixed as markets closed on the year's last day of trading Friday, but were up for all of 2010.
Since January, the high tech Nasdaq Composite Index posted the largest gains - 16.91 percent - of the three leading Wall Street indices. The Dow Jones Industrial Average of blue chip stocks gained 11.02 percent for the year. The broader Standard & Poors 500 Index gained 12.78 percent.
In light trading Friday, the Dow Jones gained 7.8 points or 0.7 percent, to 11,577.51. The S&P fell 0.24 points, or 0.02 percent, to 1,257.64. Nasdaq shed 10.11 points, or 0.38 percent, to 2,652.87.
The US currency fell against the euro to 74.72 euro cents from 75.24 euro cents Thursday. The dollar fell against the Japanese currency to 81.12 yen from 81.50 yen. (dpa)
- Facebook now allows you to 'see less' from friends on news feed
- Now, 'Cyborg cockroach' that can be wireless carrier too
- Microsoft makes Office suite free for Android, iPad, iPhone users
- Emojis may soon impersonate you more accurately with different skin tones
- Google glasses found to partially obstruct side vision