New York, Jan 1 - US stocks were mixed as markets closed on the year's last day of trading Friday, but were up for all of 2010.
Since January, the high tech Nasdaq Composite Index posted the largest gains - 16.91 percent - of the three leading Wall Street indices. The Dow Jones Industrial Average of blue chip stocks gained 11.02 percent for the year. The broader Standard & Poors 500 Index gained 12.78 percent.
In light trading Friday, the Dow Jones gained 7.8 points or 0.7 percent, to 11,577.51. The S&P fell 0.24 points, or 0.02 percent, to 1,257.64. Nasdaq shed 10.11 points, or 0.38 percent, to 2,652.87.
The US currency fell against the euro to 74.72 euro cents from 75.24 euro cents Thursday. The dollar fell against the Japanese currency to 81.12 yen from 81.50 yen. (dpa)
- Twitter accounts of New York Post, UPI hacked
- UC Web, Facebook come together to enable in-browser mobile notifications in India
- Samsung rolls out its first Tizen-powered phone Z1 in India
- Carbon nanotubes bring 'flexible electronics' with longer battery life closer to reality
- No fixes for IE on Microsoft Patch Tuesday this month