Washington, Apr 2 : The United States does not see any sign of Syrian President Bashar Assad losing his grip on power, a lawmaker has said.
“We don’t see Assad’s inner circle crumbling,” the Los Angeles Times quoted House Permanent Select Committee chairman Mike Rogers, as saying.
Rogers added that the Syrian leadership believes they are “winning” against the armed rebels, who are trying to topple the Assad-led government.
He said the arming of rebels is probably not prudent.
The United States and the international community have been under heavy pressure to take action against Syria''s brutal crackdown on protestors.
According to the United Nations, over 9,000 people have died in Syria since a protest movement inspired by the Arab Spring sparked off violence in the country last year. (ANI)
- Facebook now allows you to 'see less' from friends on news feed
- Now, 'Cyborg cockroach' that can be wireless carrier too
- Microsoft makes Office suite free for Android, iPad, iPhone users
- Emojis may soon impersonate you more accurately with different skin tones
- Google glasses found to partially obstruct side vision