Washington, Apr 2 : The United States does not see any sign of Syrian President Bashar Assad losing his grip on power, a lawmaker has said.
“We don’t see Assad’s inner circle crumbling,” the Los Angeles Times quoted House Permanent Select Committee chairman Mike Rogers, as saying.
Rogers added that the Syrian leadership believes they are “winning” against the armed rebels, who are trying to topple the Assad-led government.
He said the arming of rebels is probably not prudent.
The United States and the international community have been under heavy pressure to take action against Syria''s brutal crackdown on protestors.
According to the United Nations, over 9,000 people have died in Syria since a protest movement inspired by the Arab Spring sparked off violence in the country last year. (ANI)
- Twitter accounts of New York Post, UPI hacked
- UC Web, Facebook come together to enable in-browser mobile notifications in India
- Samsung rolls out its first Tizen-powered phone Z1 in India
- Carbon nanotubes bring 'flexible electronics' with longer battery life closer to reality
- No fixes for IE on Microsoft Patch Tuesday this month