Washington, Sep 1 : The US formally designated the Pakistani Taliban as a terrorist organization Wednesday, slapping sanctions and travel bans on its leadership.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in a public notice that the group met the criteria to be listed as an international terrorist organization under US law.
The Pakistani Taliban has been blamed for the attempted May 1 bombing of Times Square in New York, and other attacks in Pakistan. The group is also known as the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, or TTP.
Clinton made the determination Aug 12 but it did not go into effect until its publication in the Federal Register Wednesday.(DPA)
- Twitter accounts of New York Post, UPI hacked
- UC Web, Facebook come together to enable in-browser mobile notifications in India
- Samsung rolls out its first Tizen-powered phone Z1 in India
- Carbon nanotubes bring 'flexible electronics' with longer battery life closer to reality
- No fixes for IE on Microsoft Patch Tuesday this month