Washington, Sep 1 : The US formally designated the Pakistani Taliban as a terrorist organization Wednesday, slapping sanctions and travel bans on its leadership.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in a public notice that the group met the criteria to be listed as an international terrorist organization under US law.
The Pakistani Taliban has been blamed for the attempted May 1 bombing of Times Square in New York, and other attacks in Pakistan. The group is also known as the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, or TTP.
Clinton made the determination Aug 12 but it did not go into effect until its publication in the Federal Register Wednesday.(DPA)
- Facebook now allows you to 'see less' from friends on news feed
- Now, 'Cyborg cockroach' that can be wireless carrier too
- Microsoft makes Office suite free for Android, iPad, iPhone users
- Emojis may soon impersonate you more accurately with different skin tones
- Google glasses found to partially obstruct side vision