Washington, Sep 1 : The US formally designated the Pakistani Taliban as a terrorist organization Wednesday, slapping sanctions and travel bans on its leadership.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in a public notice that the group met the criteria to be listed as an international terrorist organization under US law.
The Pakistani Taliban has been blamed for the attempted May 1 bombing of Times Square in New York, and other attacks in Pakistan. The group is also known as the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, or TTP.
Clinton made the determination Aug 12 but it did not go into effect until its publication in the Federal Register Wednesday.(DPA)
- New technology tags your Facebook photos based on relationships
- NSA gathering 5bn cellphone records daily, Snowden documents reveal
- Soon, unlock iPhone with your face as password!
- 2014 to experience more cyber crimes, lead to stricter boardroom scrutiny: Report
- Facebook, Twitter users to get advisories over commenting on court cases