London, January 6 : A bride in the UK was put behind bars after she stole 470,000 pounds to have a celebrity wedding.
Joanne Kent, from Cannock, Staffordshire, England, dreamt of walking down the aisle just like the famous wives and girlfriends of stars.
The 26-year-old, who detectives said “suffered from head-in-the-clouds syndrome”, stole from Wilson UK Ltd, the oil company where she worked to pay for her big day in September 2007.
Kent spent 37,000 pounds to hire an entire luxury seafront hotel for the bash, bought herself a new house in Newquay, Cornwall, an Audi A4 and top-of-the-range Mazda for 70,000 pounds.
The mum-of-two also gifted designer bracelets to her guests the day she tied the knot with her unsuspecting fiancé David.
“Most of the money you stole was squandered on an extravagant lifestyle for yourself or to impress your friends,” the Daily Star quoted Judge Michael Challinor as saying.
Louise Howard, mitigating, said: “There is no way to justify how she spent the money. However, a significant amount was spent on other people. Her husband and her children will be living in a desperate situation because of her actions.” (ANI)
- Decision on gas price revision taken under RIL’s coercion: Dasgupta
- Government to pay $8.1 billion fuel subsidy in fourth quarter
- Oil firms falls as government considers export parity pricing model
- Essar Oil to sign $1 billion financing co-operation deal with CDB
- ONGC may sell stakes in deep-water blocks to Shell