New Delhi, Jan 7 : Anguish and anger among people over the Delhi gang-rape must be used effectively to correct laws, procedures, societal norms, values and behaviour, Vice-President Hamid Ansari said Monday.
"A recent event on the eve of the New Year gave all of us occasion for remorse and sorrow. It made us, as a people, hang our heads in shame," he said at the inauguration of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) Republic Day Camp here.
"The expressions of anguish and anger -- fully justified -- must now be speedily translated into comprehensive correctives in laws, procedures, societal norms and values, and social behaviour," he added.
Ansari appealed to the cadets to set new trends in human rights, gender equality and justice.
The vice-president said that full respect for human rights, gender equality and justice were prerequisites of a modern and progressive society that India aspires to become. (IANS)
- Marathon Pharma to sell decades-old drug to treat DMD for $89,000
- FedEx Launches FedEx Fulfillment for Small Business to Compete with Amazon
- CDC updates 2017 advisory for recommended flu shots
- Coca-Cola Helped by Strong North American Demand but Company Issues Lackluster Future Guidance
- Women with dense breasts more likely to develop breast cancer: study