Islamabad, July 26 : The chances of former Pakistan captains Mohammad Yousuf and Younus Khan being recalled for the Test series against England have faded as the team management is keen to persist with the Headingley Test winning squad.
Skipper Salman Butt also gave an indication of his feelings to continue with the young squad when he said that the rare three-wicket win over Australia was the beginning of a new era for Pakistan cricket.
"The tide has turned because captain Salman Butt, coach Waqar Younis, manager Yawar Saeed and other coaching staff were more in favour of persisting with the young players and don't want Yousuf or Younus back," The Daily Times quoted a PCB source, as saying.
"The team management believes that it is better to groom the new players instead of recalling the former captains. The feeling is that they are past their best for Pakistan," he added.
The source also said that despite the first Test beginning on July 29, there has been no move to prepare travel documents for either Yousuf or Younus.
"This is an indication that it is unlikely these two will be sent to England to join the team immediately," he added.
Younus and Yousuf were banned indefinitely from the team in March following an inquiry committee report, which had probed Pakistan's dismal performances and disciplinary problems during the tours of the United Arab Emirates, New Zealand and Australia.
Five other players - Shoaib Malik, Rana Navedul Hasan, Shahid Afridi, Kamran Akmal and Umar Akmal - were also banned or fined.
However, an arbitrator later lifted bans on Younus and Malik and halved the fines.
Naved's appeal is still pending, while Yousuf did not appeal and retired from cricket in protest. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'