Karachi, Dec. 24 : Pakistan cricket captain Mohammad Yousuf has confirmed reports about calling his predecessor Younis Khan and asking him to join the national squad for the forthcoming one-day series against Australia.
“Yes, I did call up Younis because we have always been good friends and we have played a lot of cricket together. I would definitely like to see Younis back in the team as soon as possible because he is a very experienced batsman and the team is missing him,” The Dawn quoted Yousuf, as saying.
Yousuf also rebuffed reports about him having altercations with Younis, and said it is hard to replace the former captain as he has loads of experience at the highest level.
“I am happy that he was very positive about resuming playing international cricket again,” he said.
Chief Selector, Iqbal Qasim, however, has made it clear that there are few chances of Younis returning back to the national side for the three-match Test series against the Kangaroos, but added that he could be included in the team for the limited over series.
“He can definitely make the one-day squad. We have no doubt about his class and fitness but we need to give him some time to get over his poor form and start scoring runs again,” Qasim said. (ANI)
- Shoaib Akhtar working hard to revive international career
- ‘Yousuf’s inclusion for England Test series counter-productive’, says Aamir Sohail
- Pakistan won't recall Abbas for Commonwealth Games
- Younis must approach PCB directly to earn his place back in Test squad
- Yousuf ready to come out of retirement if Pakistan needs him