London, July 17 : Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic wants to quit the club to join Spain's Real Madrid in an 18 million pound move.
According to reports, Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho wants the Serbian to form the backbone of his new-look defence, with Chelsea defender Ashley Cole being another target.
The 28-year-old had joined United in 2006 in a seven million transfer from Spartak Moscow. He signed a new deal a year later taking his wages to 70,000 pounds a week, The Sun reports.
Vidic, who has played nearly 126 times for the Reds, has been a pivotal part of the United defence in the absence of a number of other defenders during various parts of his career.
His departure will signal a defensive crisis, with Rio Ferdinand unlikely to start the season due to his knee injury. (ANI)
- ‘Unhappy’ Tevez looking forward to leaving Europe
- Determined Razzaq says Test career not over for Pakistan
- John Terry ‘accuses Vanessa Perroncel of trying to cash in on scandal’
- Peter Crouch ‘begging fiancée Abbey Clancy not to dump him’
- Walcott says ''fantastic'' Beckham is the perfect football professional