Hamburg, April 6 : Ruud van Nistelrooy has a chance of making the Dutch World Cup squad if he is fit, the Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk told Tuesday's edition of German sports magazine Kicker.
Van Marwijk said he will watch the striker Van Nistelrooy Thursday when his club SV Hamburg plays a Europa League quarter-final at Belgian side Standard Liege.
Van Nistelrooy, 33, retired from the Dutch team after Euro 2008 but is now keen to return. The injury-ridden player even left Real Madrid in January for Hamburg in order to play matches.
"Ruud wants to go there (to the World Cup) but he must be fit and in form. He says that himself and I agree," van Marwijk told Kicker.
Van Marwijk reiterated that van Nistelrooy must signal whether he really wants to return and that "I will then decide whether Ruud will go to the World Cup."
While van Nistelrooy still has a chance, Van Marwijk has all but written off his Hamburg team-mate Eljero Elia over an ankle operation.
Van Marwijk said he does not expect the midfielder Elia to be fit in time for the June 11-July 11 World Cup in South Africa where the Dutch play Denmark, Japan and Cameroon in group E.(DPA)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today