Hamburg, April 6 : Ruud van Nistelrooy has a chance of making the Dutch World Cup squad if he is fit, the Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk told Tuesday's edition of German sports magazine Kicker.
Van Marwijk said he will watch the striker Van Nistelrooy Thursday when his club SV Hamburg plays a Europa League quarter-final at Belgian side Standard Liege.
Van Nistelrooy, 33, retired from the Dutch team after Euro 2008 but is now keen to return. The injury-ridden player even left Real Madrid in January for Hamburg in order to play matches.
"Ruud wants to go there (to the World Cup) but he must be fit and in form. He says that himself and I agree," van Marwijk told Kicker.
Van Marwijk reiterated that van Nistelrooy must signal whether he really wants to return and that "I will then decide whether Ruud will go to the World Cup."
While van Nistelrooy still has a chance, Van Marwijk has all but written off his Hamburg team-mate Eljero Elia over an ankle operation.
Van Marwijk said he does not expect the midfielder Elia to be fit in time for the June 11-July 11 World Cup in South Africa where the Dutch play Denmark, Japan and Cameroon in group E.(DPA)
- Brad Pitt feels marriage is 'more than just a title'
- Kelly Brook says David Mackintosh is needy
- Michael Strahan to do a cameo in 'Magic Mike' sequel
- Pregnant Duchess Kate set to resume royal duties post morning sickness recovery
- Taylor Swift, Metallica to perform at 2015 Rock in Rio festival
- Oscar Isaac wishes George Lucas hadn't tweaked the original 'Star Wars'
- Don't regret having not played Gandhi: Naseeruddin Shah
- Paris Hilton and pals' booze bender at pub comes with $230K price-tag!