Cuttack, March 20 : An all-round show by Andrew Symonds helped defending champions Deccan Chargers beat Kings XI Punjab for the first time in the Indian Premier League (IPL) by six wickets at their new found home base here Friday.
Symonds struck a brisk 53 off 38 balls as Deccan Chargers scored 170 for seven in 20 overs. The burly Queenslander, who was also adjudged as the Man of the Match, picked up one for 22 and also took an important catch to dismiss Irfan Pathan, who tried to steal a win with his brilliant 60, but still Kings XI Punjab fell short of the total and could muster 164 for eight in 20 overs.
For Deccan Chargers it was their first win at their home base of Cuttack, after IPL matches were moved out of Hyderabad due to security situations. It was also their maiden win against the Kings XI Punjab in fifth face-off.
Skipper Adam Gilchrist took the Chargers to a flying start with his 33 off 12 balls hitting four fours and two sixes and by the time he departed, they had 43 runs on board in the third over. V. V. S. Laxman (10) also made his way back to the pavilion soon after he was hit on the forearm by Shalabh Srivastav's wayward throw.
Symonds and Herschelle Gibbs (23) then took the Kings XI bowlers to all parts of the ground with their 55-run stand for the second wicket. Symonds smashed three fours and three sixes during his whirlwind knock. Tirumalasetti Suman also contributed 26 valuable runs at the end as the Chargers put on a challenging total.
Kings XI made a poor start but opener Ravi Bopara (38) continued his good form. Pathan tried to pull off a sensational win with his 29-ball knock hitting five sixes and three fours, but by then the Chargers were on course to deserving victory. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'