London, Nov 3 : Sweden has branded England as racist for making an ad using `xenophobic stereotypes', to promote their upcoming friendly football match at Wembley.
The commercial, which was a promotion before the match, features a fake Swede using sexual innuendo over an Abba-style backing track.
According to the Daily Star, the Football Association removed the talkSPORT commercial after the opponents reacted angrily to the advert.
Piara Powar, from Football Against Racism in Europe, accused the FA of using `cheap, outdated stereotypes'.
"Had others done the same against England, it would not be accepted and people would feel offended, just as many Swedes feel'," the Daily Mail quoted a Swedish fan as saying.
The FA said that the ad would not be aired again.
"It was never intended to cause offence but in light of recent comments we have taken the decision to remove it," a spokesman said. (ANI)
- Spot-fixing trial: All three Pakistani cricketers get jail terms
- Strauss wants no vendetta by England against Pak in wake of spot-fixing conviction
- Giggs’ ex Imogen Thomas turns up demure for date with new boyfriend
- Mario Balotelli’s 30ft tall effigy to be torched in Kent
- Becks unveiled as new face for Brit supermarket giant