Panaji, Nov 5 - Sporting Clube de Goa caught Salgaocar by surprise with a 4-2 demolition in a fourth round I-league football clash at the Nehru Stadium in Fatorda Saturday.
South Sudan striker James Moga was the hero of Sporting Clube's amazing triumph with a brilliant hat-trick while Nigerian midfielder Ogba Kalu scored the other goal for the winners. Edeh Chidi and Ryuji Sueoka scored the goals for Salgaocar. The teams were locked 2-2 at the change of ends.
Salgaocar took the lead even before people had taken their seats, and probably, even before the stuttering Sporting Clube defence had a settled look to it. Chidi, menacing as ever, worked down the right and essayed a ball in the goalmouth where Sueoka controlled the ball but was brought down by Rojen Singh leading to a penalty which Sueoka himself converted in the third minute.
Sporting Clube got back into the match immediately. Moga won a freekick just outside the box and the striker left everyone stunned when he curled the ball majestically into the goal.
Salgaocar were dangerous while launching the attacks but left themselves exposed to a counter attack.
Salgaocar looked vulnerable after being a goal down and survived two close calls which could have probably ended the match as a contest. Salgaocar finally got the equaliser at the stroke of half time when Sueoka's ball into the heart of the Sporting defence saw a flutter of activity, bad defending and a sudden rush from Chidi to turn the ball home.
Sporting Clube turned the screws in the second session. Kalu first came up with a brilliant low header of Joseph Pereira's freekick in the 64th minute and a minute later, Moga completed his hat-trick with a trademark header from inside the danger zone. (IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone