Mumbai, Nov 20 : Indian cricket's selection committee Saturday decided to rest seniors cricketers like captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh and appointed Gautam Gambhir to lead the side in the first two one-dayers against New Zealand.
The committee that met in Nagpur rested the senior players saying that their injuries require attention and rehabilitation.
All-rounder Yusuf Pathan also makes a come-back in the one-day side while Wriddhiman Saha will be the wicketkeeper.
The five senior players, however, have been included in the Test series in South Africa, where Dhoni will be leading the side. Youngsters like Umesh Yadav, Saha, Jaydev Unadkat and Chetesjwar Pujara also found a place in the 17 member squad.
One-day team (first two ODIs against New Zealand): Gautam Gambhir (captain), Murali Vijay, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Sourav Tiwary, Wriddhiman Saha, (wicketkeeper), R. Ashwin, Praveen Kumar, R. Vinay Kumar, Munaf Patel, Sreesanth, Yusuf Pathan and Ravindra Jadeja
Test team (South Africa series): Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, V. V. S. Laxman, Suresh Raina, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Sreesanth, Murali Vijay, Cheteshwar Pujara, Wriddhiman Saha, Jaydev Unadkat, Umesh Yadav, Pragyan Ojha.(IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone