New Delhi, Feb 5 : Sania Mirza and Poojashree Venkatesh won their singles matches, dropping a game in each set, as India beat Malaysia 3-0 to top Group II Pool. They are now one match away to be back in the Asia-Oceania Group I.
India play the winners of the Pool B match between Hong Kong China and Syria in the qualification play-off.
Poojashree and Sania made short of work of their opponents, wrapping up the tie 2-0 at the National Tennis Centre in Kuala Lumpur Friday. Sanaa Bhambri and Poojashree then won the dead doubles rubber.
Poojashree outclassed the 32-year-old Malaysian veteran Chin Bee Khoo 6-1, 6-1 and Sania followed suit, winning 6-1. 6-1 against Jawairiah Nordin. Sanaa and Poojashree, replacing veteran Rushmi Chakravarthi, defeated Khoo and Nordin 7-6, 6-2.(IANS)
- New Zealand diplomats fear terror attack ahead of Commonwealth Games
- Oz cricket officials pushing for use of umpire referrals in India series
- Supreme Court notice to cricket board on IPL franchise
- OC officials visit stadiums to check facilities
- Kolkata Knight Riders sign 6’10 giant Pak fast bowler on Akram’s recommendation