Fatorda , Feb 6 - Salgaocar Sports Club overcame a stiff second-half resistance from Prayag United to score a solitary goal victory in the 19th round I-League football match at the Nehru Stadium here Monday.
Edeh Chidi headed the only goal of the match in the 21st minute.
The win helped Salgaocar maintain their 10-match unbeaten streak and the defending champions have now climbed to the fifth spot behind Churchill Brothers.
Prayag United, with 32 points, had a chance to occupy the second slot but the visitors were themselves to blame for some poor finishing, notably in the second session.
Salgaocar were not at their fluent best, but with Chidi scoring the only goal of the match, they did not have much to do. Ryuji Sueoka was in fine form but the Japanese striker could not come up with the killer touch that would have translated some good moves into goals.
Prayag were a transformed side in the second session but the visitors were pegged back since Yusif Yakubu was a pale shadow of his former self and Brazilian striker Josimar Martins was unable to keep his attempts on target. (IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today