Fatorda , Feb 6 - Salgaocar Sports Club overcame a stiff second-half resistance from Prayag United to score a solitary goal victory in the 19th round I-League football match at the Nehru Stadium here Monday.
Edeh Chidi headed the only goal of the match in the 21st minute.
The win helped Salgaocar maintain their 10-match unbeaten streak and the defending champions have now climbed to the fifth spot behind Churchill Brothers.
Prayag United, with 32 points, had a chance to occupy the second slot but the visitors were themselves to blame for some poor finishing, notably in the second session.
Salgaocar were not at their fluent best, but with Chidi scoring the only goal of the match, they did not have much to do. Ryuji Sueoka was in fine form but the Japanese striker could not come up with the killer touch that would have translated some good moves into goals.
Prayag were a transformed side in the second session but the visitors were pegged back since Yusif Yakubu was a pale shadow of his former self and Brazilian striker Josimar Martins was unable to keep his attempts on target. (IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone