Fatorda , Feb 6 - Salgaocar Sports Club overcame a stiff second-half resistance from Prayag United to score a solitary goal victory in the 19th round I-League football match at the Nehru Stadium here Monday.
Edeh Chidi headed the only goal of the match in the 21st minute.
The win helped Salgaocar maintain their 10-match unbeaten streak and the defending champions have now climbed to the fifth spot behind Churchill Brothers.
Prayag United, with 32 points, had a chance to occupy the second slot but the visitors were themselves to blame for some poor finishing, notably in the second session.
Salgaocar were not at their fluent best, but with Chidi scoring the only goal of the match, they did not have much to do. Ryuji Sueoka was in fine form but the Japanese striker could not come up with the killer touch that would have translated some good moves into goals.
Prayag were a transformed side in the second session but the visitors were pegged back since Yusif Yakubu was a pale shadow of his former self and Brazilian striker Josimar Martins was unable to keep his attempts on target. (IANS)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai