Fatorda , Feb 6 - Salgaocar Sports Club overcame a stiff second-half resistance from Prayag United to score a solitary goal victory in the 19th round I-League football match at the Nehru Stadium here Monday.
Edeh Chidi headed the only goal of the match in the 21st minute.
The win helped Salgaocar maintain their 10-match unbeaten streak and the defending champions have now climbed to the fifth spot behind Churchill Brothers.
Prayag United, with 32 points, had a chance to occupy the second slot but the visitors were themselves to blame for some poor finishing, notably in the second session.
Salgaocar were not at their fluent best, but with Chidi scoring the only goal of the match, they did not have much to do. Ryuji Sueoka was in fine form but the Japanese striker could not come up with the killer touch that would have translated some good moves into goals.
Prayag were a transformed side in the second session but the visitors were pegged back since Yusif Yakubu was a pale shadow of his former self and Brazilian striker Josimar Martins was unable to keep his attempts on target. (IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'