London, Oct 7 : Ace England striker Wayne Rooney was left stunned after his father and uncle were arrested for an alleged betting fraud.
Wayne Rooney Snr, 48, and Richie Rooney, 54, were two of nine men taken into custody in the West Derby area of Liverpool and questioned for several hours.
Nine men - who were all freed on bail later on Thursday - were arrested as part of the probe into suspicious gambling patterns around a Scottish Premier League match last December, including Motherwell footballer Steve Jennings.
But Rooney insisted that he would set his family worries aside when he steps out on the pitch for his country in tonight’s game against Montenegro, The Mirror reports.
A friend said yesterday: “News of the arrests came as a complete bolt from the blue to him and to say he was surprised is a massive understatement. He had no idea it was coming but now his complete focus is on the England game. Wayne is totally not involved in any way.”
Wayne Snr, 48, and Richie Rooney, 54, were two of nine men taken into custody in planned raids at 7am yesterday.
England coach Fabio Capello insisted last night striker Wayne was staying level-headed for the game in Montenegro following the allegations.
Capello said: “I spoke to (Rooney) and I found him relaxed and calm. No problems for the game tomorrow.” (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'