London, Oct 7 : Ace England striker Wayne Rooney was left stunned after his father and uncle were arrested for an alleged betting fraud.
Wayne Rooney Snr, 48, and Richie Rooney, 54, were two of nine men taken into custody in the West Derby area of Liverpool and questioned for several hours.
Nine men - who were all freed on bail later on Thursday - were arrested as part of the probe into suspicious gambling patterns around a Scottish Premier League match last December, including Motherwell footballer Steve Jennings.
But Rooney insisted that he would set his family worries aside when he steps out on the pitch for his country in tonight’s game against Montenegro, The Mirror reports.
A friend said yesterday: “News of the arrests came as a complete bolt from the blue to him and to say he was surprised is a massive understatement. He had no idea it was coming but now his complete focus is on the England game. Wayne is totally not involved in any way.”
Wayne Snr, 48, and Richie Rooney, 54, were two of nine men taken into custody in planned raids at 7am yesterday.
England coach Fabio Capello insisted last night striker Wayne was staying level-headed for the game in Montenegro following the allegations.
Capello said: “I spoke to (Rooney) and I found him relaxed and calm. No problems for the game tomorrow.” (ANI)
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting
- Matt Damon in talks to star in 'The Great Wall'
- Clooney to wed in custom Giorgio Armani tux
- KBC gets its first 7 crore winner in two brothers
- Liv Tyler doesn't want to know baby's sex?
- Kendall Jenner thinks sis KimK's naked GQ cover was ' really embarrassing'
- How Kaley Cuoco `joked way out` of nude snap leak embarrassment
- Angelina Jolie to helm Richard Leakey biopic 'Africa'