New Delhi, Nov 3 - International cricketers Rohit Sharma and Manoj Tiwari struck form straightaway, scoring unbeaten centuries while promising Punjab batsman Mandeep Singh and Himachal Pradesh's Paras Dogra also came up with big hundreds as the new Ranji Trophy season got under way Thursday.
Rohit Sharma, whose tour to England ended abruptly with a broken finger, was batting on 133 in a Mumbai first-innings score of 228 for five at stumps on the opening day against Railways at the Karnail Singh Stadium here. Promising Suryakumar Yadav was unlucky to miss his hundred by 12 runs.
Tiwary, returning to lead Bengal, was batting on 120 in Bengal's first innings score of 261 for four against Gujarat. Former India skipper Sourav Ganguly, who has promised to play the entire season, made 34.
Mandeep was at his dashing best, 100 of his 158 coming off boundaries against Uttar Pradesh, while Karan Goel made 68. Rudra Pratap Singh, who gave Uttar Pradesh a quick breakthrough claiming two early wickets, returned with the day's best figures, four for 60.
The other century-maker of the day in the Elite Division was K. B. Pawan of Karnataka who, too, remained unbeaten with 121. The dashing Manish Pandey cracked 58 off 67 balls.
Dogra's unfinished 174 came against Tripura at Agartala as Himachal ended the day in their Plate Division match at 347 for two.
No ball was bowled in the match between Tamil Nadu and last year's finalists Baroda as rain washed out play in Chennai while overnight rain delayed the start of Hyderabad's game against Jharkhand.
ELITE DIVISION: GROUP A: Mohali: Punjab 329 for five in 91 overs (Sarul Kanwar 38, Karan Goel 68, Mandeep Singh batting 158, Mayank Sidhana 37, R. P. Singh 4 for 60) vs Uttar Pradesh.
Delhi: Mumbai 338 for five in 90 overs (Kaustubh Pawar 31, Wasim Jaffer 33, Rohit Sharma batting 133, Suryakumar Yadav 88, Iqbal Abdulla 25) vs Railways.
Cuttack: Saurashtra 305 for five in 90 overs (Bhushan Chauhan 83, Basant Mohanty 2 for 50) vs Orissa. (IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone