Bridgetown (Barbados), June 29 : The International Cricket Council (ICC) has fined Indian batsman Suresh Raina 25 per cent of his match fees for showing dissent on his dismissal on Day One of the second Test between India and the West Indies here at the Kensington Oval.
Raina was guilty of breaching Level 1 of the ICC Code of Conduct.
The offence took place in the 56th over of the India innings when Raina was caught off the bowling of Devendra Bishoo. The batsman shook his head to indicate that he did not hit the ball which seemed to be an attempt to influence the umpire's decision. On being given out, he looked to the sky in disgust and then after picking his bat up from the ground swung it at the dirt as well as shaking his head again.
"Raina was found to have breached Article 2.1.3 of the code which relates to showing dissent at an umpire's decision by action or verbal abuse," said ICC in a release Tuesday.
After close of play, the left-handed batsman pleaded guilty and accepted the proposed sanction offered to him by match referee Chris Broad.
"What Suresh did was a clear breach of the code, something the player himself has accepted. There is a fine line between showing disappointment at a dismissal and demonstrating dissent but on this occasion Suresh was well over that line and his behaviour was unacceptable," said Broad.
All Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand and a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player's match fee. The charge was brought by on-field umpires Asad Rauf and Billy Bowden as well as third umpire Gregory Brathwaite and fourth official Norman Malcolm.(IANS)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today