Islamabad, Aug 7 : The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has snubbed forward Rehan Butt and goalkeeper Salman Akbar from the Asian Champions Trophy squad after they were reportedly found violating the code of conduct in an ‘alcohol-related incident’.
The federation has named a 26-man squad for the training camp, after which 18 will be selected for the event.
Penalty-corner specialist Sohail Abbas has also discarded as he failed to satisfy the officials with his fitness.
Meanwhile, Butt has termed his omission as an ideal time to take a break.
“I actually needed rest and in my absence many juniors will have a chance to play,” the Dawn quoted Butt, as saying.
“Although I failed to score on the Europe tour, I am satisfied with my performance and that I will regain my form after some rest. Seniors are always needed, but juniors must also be given chances to prove themselves as they are our future,” he added. (ANI)
- ICC should put its foot down on implementing DRS, says Aamir Sohail
- Sohail Khan, Aizaz Cheema vow to perform well on Zimbabwe tour
- ‘PCB hoping to establish bilateral cricket ties with India’
- Pakistan fast slipping into chaos: Imran
- Pakistan’s chief selector under fire over selections for national camp