Rio De Janeiro, April 21 - Flamengo Football Club president Patricia Amorim says the club is still undecided about whether to re-sign troubled striker Adriano.
Amorim also said there was no chance former FIFA world player of the year Ronaldinho would leave the Rio de Janeiro club.
Under the guidance of Flamengo medical staff, Adriano is due to begin physiotherapy next week after surgery to repair left Achilles tendon damage, reported Xinhua.
Flamengo will monitor the 30-year-old's recovery but remains non-committal about offering a contract to the man who helped the club win 2009 Brazilian league title.
"Sometimes we have doubts about what the future holds and when that's the case, it's best not to do anything," Amorim told Arena Sportv.
"It's a dilemma. The majority of Flamengo fans love Adriano but we also have to think about our responsibility. When the time is right we will make a decision, but now is not the right time."
Adriano, who has scored 27 goals in 48 international appearances for Brazil, was sacked by Corinthians in March after failing to adhere to the club's strict training regime.
He has since expressed his wish to rejoin Flamengo and return to the national team.
Adriano was involved in a string of off-field controversies of which the most serious one is the allegation of links with a Rio de Janeiro drug lord, which Adriano has denied.
Aside from doubts about Adriano's attitude, Amorim revealed the club also had financial limitations.
"Our priority now is to reduce our salary costs by loaning out some players or terminating contracts. There is also the medical aspect. If he makes a full recovery and the doctors say he is ok to play again, then we can start thinking about the administrative side." (IANS)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai