Sydney, Jan 2 : Predicting a four-nil Test series whitewash over India, former pacer Glenn McGrath has said that the Australian team is on the rise.
Ahead of the second Test starting at the SCG on Tuesday, McGrath has also tipped that Sachin Tendulkar will remain stranded on 99 international centuries for the rest of the summer at least.
In the 2006-07 Ashes down under, McGrath correctly predicted a five-nil thumping for Australia, but in last year's series against England he made the same confident statement and was horribly wrong.
Launching the McGrath Foundation's Pink Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground today, the 41-year-old said the Australian team was well on the way to reasserting themselves at the top of Test cricket.
"Yesterday I said three nil but I stuffed up because I thought there was only three Tests, but definitely four nil. The way the guys have played at the moment I've been impressed," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted him, as saying.
"I think a team really builds itself around a bowling attack and you look at the bowling attack the team has at the moment and that will give the rest of the guys a lot of confidence," he said.
"I'm very confident, as confident as I've been in years that this team is something special and I'm expecting big things from them," he said.
McGrath admitted the historic 100th Test at the iconic SCG would be the perfect setting for Tendulkar to break his drought and record his 100th century across Test and ODI matches.
"Well the scene is set, there''s no doubt about that. Sachin's a class player and to be sitting on 99 (international) hundreds is incredible. But I'm tipping our boys will hold him back for another few Tests. It''d be nice to see Sachin get his 100th hundred first Test up next series," he said. (ANI)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish