Sydney, Jan 2 : Predicting a four-nil Test series whitewash over India, former pacer Glenn McGrath has said that the Australian team is on the rise.
Ahead of the second Test starting at the SCG on Tuesday, McGrath has also tipped that Sachin Tendulkar will remain stranded on 99 international centuries for the rest of the summer at least.
In the 2006-07 Ashes down under, McGrath correctly predicted a five-nil thumping for Australia, but in last year's series against England he made the same confident statement and was horribly wrong.
Launching the McGrath Foundation's Pink Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground today, the 41-year-old said the Australian team was well on the way to reasserting themselves at the top of Test cricket.
"Yesterday I said three nil but I stuffed up because I thought there was only three Tests, but definitely four nil. The way the guys have played at the moment I've been impressed," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted him, as saying.
"I think a team really builds itself around a bowling attack and you look at the bowling attack the team has at the moment and that will give the rest of the guys a lot of confidence," he said.
"I'm very confident, as confident as I've been in years that this team is something special and I'm expecting big things from them," he said.
McGrath admitted the historic 100th Test at the iconic SCG would be the perfect setting for Tendulkar to break his drought and record his 100th century across Test and ODI matches.
"Well the scene is set, there''s no doubt about that. Sachin's a class player and to be sitting on 99 (international) hundreds is incredible. But I'm tipping our boys will hold him back for another few Tests. It''d be nice to see Sachin get his 100th hundred first Test up next series," he said. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'