London, Mar. 15 : Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has been cleared of alleged rape charges at the team’s Christmas bash last year.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) had presented evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service.
“The CPS has decided to take no further action against the man arrested following an incident at a city centre hotel on Tuesday December 18,” The Sun quoted a GMP source, as saying.
Evans, 20, now on loan at Sunderland, was held after a woman claimed she was assaulted during the United players’ party at the Great John Street hotel in Manchester.
According to The Mirror, detectives following the case believe the raped victim may have wrongly identified Evans as the assailant.
Detectives checked the CCTV footage and took statements from potential witness from the hotel where the alleged assault is supposed to have taken place.
It is believed that the alleged victim, a barmaid from the south of London arrived at the John Street Hotel with her boyfriend.
There were also allegations that the Irish international was involved in an altercation with victim’s boyfriend.
The footballer has all along insisted that he is, “totally innocent”. (ANI)
- Brad Pitt feels marriage is 'more than just a title'
- Kelly Brook says David Mackintosh is needy
- Michael Strahan to do a cameo in 'Magic Mike' sequel
- Pregnant Duchess Kate set to resume royal duties post morning sickness recovery
- Taylor Swift, Metallica to perform at 2015 Rock in Rio festival
- Oscar Isaac wishes George Lucas hadn't tweaked the original 'Star Wars'
- Don't regret having not played Gandhi: Naseeruddin Shah
- Paris Hilton and pals' booze bender at pub comes with $230K price-tag!