London, Mar. 15 : Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has been cleared of alleged rape charges at the team’s Christmas bash last year.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) had presented evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service.
“The CPS has decided to take no further action against the man arrested following an incident at a city centre hotel on Tuesday December 18,” The Sun quoted a GMP source, as saying.
Evans, 20, now on loan at Sunderland, was held after a woman claimed she was assaulted during the United players’ party at the Great John Street hotel in Manchester.
According to The Mirror, detectives following the case believe the raped victim may have wrongly identified Evans as the assailant.
Detectives checked the CCTV footage and took statements from potential witness from the hotel where the alleged assault is supposed to have taken place.
It is believed that the alleged victim, a barmaid from the south of London arrived at the John Street Hotel with her boyfriend.
There were also allegations that the Irish international was involved in an altercation with victim’s boyfriend.
The footballer has all along insisted that he is, “totally innocent”. (ANI)
- 'Hobbit' star Dean O'Gorman to portray Kirk Douglas in 'Trumbo'
- Nicole Scherzinger earned 100K pounds to perform at Russian tycoon's party
- Cheryl Cole to set up own record label to rival Simon Cowell's Syco
- Demi Lovato suffers 'minor' arm injury just before Texas concert
- Motherhood is wonderful, says Kerry Washington
- Hackers leak over 50 topless pics of Amber Heard online
- Hilary Duff is open for Lizzie McGuire reunion
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting