London, Mar. 15 : Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has been cleared of alleged rape charges at the team’s Christmas bash last year.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) had presented evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service.
“The CPS has decided to take no further action against the man arrested following an incident at a city centre hotel on Tuesday December 18,” The Sun quoted a GMP source, as saying.
Evans, 20, now on loan at Sunderland, was held after a woman claimed she was assaulted during the United players’ party at the Great John Street hotel in Manchester.
According to The Mirror, detectives following the case believe the raped victim may have wrongly identified Evans as the assailant.
Detectives checked the CCTV footage and took statements from potential witness from the hotel where the alleged assault is supposed to have taken place.
It is believed that the alleged victim, a barmaid from the south of London arrived at the John Street Hotel with her boyfriend.
There were also allegations that the Irish international was involved in an altercation with victim’s boyfriend.
The footballer has all along insisted that he is, “totally innocent”. (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today