London, Mar. 15 : Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has been cleared of alleged rape charges at the team’s Christmas bash last year.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) had presented evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service.
“The CPS has decided to take no further action against the man arrested following an incident at a city centre hotel on Tuesday December 18,” The Sun quoted a GMP source, as saying.
Evans, 20, now on loan at Sunderland, was held after a woman claimed she was assaulted during the United players’ party at the Great John Street hotel in Manchester.
According to The Mirror, detectives following the case believe the raped victim may have wrongly identified Evans as the assailant.
Detectives checked the CCTV footage and took statements from potential witness from the hotel where the alleged assault is supposed to have taken place.
It is believed that the alleged victim, a barmaid from the south of London arrived at the John Street Hotel with her boyfriend.
There were also allegations that the Irish international was involved in an altercation with victim’s boyfriend.
The footballer has all along insisted that he is, “totally innocent”. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'