London, Nov 23 - India's Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi defeated Austrian Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner of Germany 7-5, 6-3 in their second round robin match to bring their Barclays ATP World Tour Finals campaign back on track here Wednesday.
The three time former finalists disposed of their opponents in a straight sets victory in the Group A encounter to register their first win in the tournament.
Bhupathi and Paes were quickly off the blocks in the first set, taking a 3-1 lead, but a well-placed backhand volley winner by Petzschner on Bhupathi's serve in the next game got the first set back on serve. Petzschner hammered three powerful serves to save three set points with the game hanging in the balance at 5-6, but on sudden death deuce, Bhupathi hit a deep forehand return to his feet to win the game and first set 7-5 in 39 minutes.
In the second set, the 'Indian Express' survived a scare as Bhupathi's serve was almost broken at 2-2. The fourth seeds then took a 5-3 lead when Petzschner hit two double faults at 30/30. Bhupathi clinically finished his last service game to keep the Indian pair in the hunt for a berth in the next round. (IANS)
- Jailed Pakistani cricketers Butt and Aamer's appeal rejected
- McIlroy’s girl Wozniacki draws attention ‘cavorting’ with Henri Leconte
- Tyson Fury under vile racist attacks following Twitter account hack
- Manchester City will find their way round financial fair-play rules: Wenger
- Adebayor eyeing permanent move to Tottenham Hotspur