New Delhi, Oct 14 : Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi cannot seem to shake off his negative public image despite a successful Games. He was booed Thursday by the capacity crowd at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium when he came up to make a winding speech.
The crowd also showed its evident displeasure when Kalmadi thanked his colleagues in the organising committee, which has been blamed for the many delays in the preparations to the Games and gave India a bad name.
The loudest boos were reserved for Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the Organising Committe and its unpopular spokesman.
As Kalmadi spoke, thanking virtually everyone in the Indian establishment for the conduct of the Games, the crowds interrupted him repeatedly with jeers, forcing him to rush through his speech.
But the crowd graciously applauded each time Kalmadi mentioned the achievements of Indian athletes, who for the first time finished second in the Commonwealth Games medals tally.
Kalmadi was clearly ill at ease throughout his speech.
His praise of the people of Delhi triggered a huge roar. The loudest cheer was reserved for Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikhsit when Kalmadi thanked her for her government's support.(IANS)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan