New Delhi, Oct 14 : Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi cannot seem to shake off his negative public image despite a successful Games. He was booed Thursday by the capacity crowd at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium when he came up to make a winding speech.
The crowd also showed its evident displeasure when Kalmadi thanked his colleagues in the organising committee, which has been blamed for the many delays in the preparations to the Games and gave India a bad name.
The loudest boos were reserved for Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the Organising Committe and its unpopular spokesman.
As Kalmadi spoke, thanking virtually everyone in the Indian establishment for the conduct of the Games, the crowds interrupted him repeatedly with jeers, forcing him to rush through his speech.
But the crowd graciously applauded each time Kalmadi mentioned the achievements of Indian athletes, who for the first time finished second in the Commonwealth Games medals tally.
Kalmadi was clearly ill at ease throughout his speech.
His praise of the people of Delhi triggered a huge roar. The loudest cheer was reserved for Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikhsit when Kalmadi thanked her for her government's support.(IANS)
- Robbie Williams' wife to deliver second baby in LA despite singer's wish
- Zac Efron, Robert De Niro may star in 'Dirty Grandpa'
- Rita Ora turns designer for Adidas
- Music launch of 'Khoobsurat' held in Mumbai
- Nicole Kidman says her 'Paddington' role is too disturbing for daughters
- Jennifer Aniston goes 'topless' for photo shoot just days after ex-hubby Brad Pitt's wedding
- Joan Rivers joked would have been 'fabulous' to die during plastic surgery
- Censor Board should be consistent: Deepika Padukone