New Delhi, Oct 14 : Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi cannot seem to shake off his negative public image despite a successful Games. He was booed Thursday by the capacity crowd at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium when he came up to make a winding speech.
The crowd also showed its evident displeasure when Kalmadi thanked his colleagues in the organising committee, which has been blamed for the many delays in the preparations to the Games and gave India a bad name.
The loudest boos were reserved for Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the Organising Committe and its unpopular spokesman.
As Kalmadi spoke, thanking virtually everyone in the Indian establishment for the conduct of the Games, the crowds interrupted him repeatedly with jeers, forcing him to rush through his speech.
But the crowd graciously applauded each time Kalmadi mentioned the achievements of Indian athletes, who for the first time finished second in the Commonwealth Games medals tally.
Kalmadi was clearly ill at ease throughout his speech.
His praise of the people of Delhi triggered a huge roar. The loudest cheer was reserved for Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikhsit when Kalmadi thanked her for her government's support.(IANS)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'