London, June 22 : Italy striker Mario Balotelli has landed in another race controversy after an Italian politician posted a photoshopped image of the fiery striker, as a cabbage-picker.
The picture, which was put up on right-wing Future and Liberty party member Paolo Ciani''s personal Facebook profile, was seen in reference to many African and South American migrants, who work as vegetable harvesters in Italian fields.
However, Ciani, 51, defended himself from accusations of racial overtones to the picture.
"How can they accuse me of racism. I work with non-European Union nationals. This is the best response to this presumed racism," the Daily Mirror quoted Ciani, as saying.
"What I was doing was making a footballing comment, I was highlighting how Balotelli had committed a bad foul which could have got him sent off, then his reaction after scoring was so over the top one of his team mates had to put his hand over his mouth," he clarified.
Ciani said Balotelli with `his extravagance and vision on life' is a `poor example for the younger generation'. (ANI)
- Three Lions custodian Hart aims to turn ‘penalty lottery’ into ‘Euro jackpot’ against Italy
- ‘Let my race do the talking’: Hamilton plays down McLaren contract talks
- Ex F1 driver David Coulthard catches golf ball in car going at 180mph
- Nadal holidays in Spain with two girls before Wimbledon
- ‘Big Brother’ winner reveals drug hell after being dumped by Mario Balotelli