Mumbai, Dec 21 (IANS) Fast bowler Ishant Sharma was dropped while leg-spinner Piyush Chawla made a come back after two-and-a-half years as the national selectors Tuesday announced a 16-member squad for the five-match ODI series and a Twenty20 match against South Africa.
Another notable absentee from the squad was middle order batsman Rohit Sharma, who played in the ODI series against New Zealand. Chawla last played an ODI in April 2008 against Pakistan in Karachi.
Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar and skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni made a comeback to the team after missing the ODI series against New Zealand.
All-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has also been left out while Yusuf Pathan, who impressed in the ODI series against New Zealand, has been retained.
The squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain-wicketkeeper), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Praveen Kumar, Munaf Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Yusuf Pathan, Piyush Chawla and Sreesanth.
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today