Islamabad, July 23 : Hampshire has denied signing swashbuckling Pakistan all rounder Shahid Afridi for the remaining part of the Friends Provident Twenty20 championship.
Afridi, who resigned from Test captaincy following last week's 150 run defeat against Australia in the first Test at Lord's, had hinted at a deal with Hampshire, however, the English county side that the all rounder would not be coming into the side.
"Shahid won't be joining us," Hampshire manager Giles White told BBC Radio.
White said that his team is already packed, and it would be difficult to accommodate Afridi in the side for the quarterfinal tie against Warwickshire.
"Even if there was a chance of him coming, we wouldn't be able to register him in time for the quarterfinal on Monday. We've already got Abdul Razzaq and Dan Christian, and they will be trying to help us get through to our first ever finals day," he said.
After announcing his retirement from Test cricket Afridi had said: "I had to abandon my plans to play for Hampshire this season when Pakistan needed me for the Tests. I made my decision to step down and now Hampshire want me for the rest of the T20." (ANI)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today