Ahmedabad, Nov 2 : New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori has said that the stinging criticism from coach Mark Greatbatch after the humiliating ODI series against Bangladesh was justified.
“It’s one of those things, you know within yourself how you’ve played and you know when you come off a 4-0 result to Bangladesh that you basically deserve everything you get,” the New Zealand Herald quoted Vettori, as saying.
“I don’t think anyone is in a position to justify or defend themselves,” he added.
Vettori further reckons that the coach will hopefully spark positive responses from the players.
“Hopefully it’s a rallying call for the guys and we have to prove to Mark that we are good enough,” he said.
Before leaving for the tour of India, Greatbatch had said that the Black Caps had played like dicks during the one-day tour of Bangladesh.
Greatbatch did not single out anyone, but the comments appeared to be directed at the ODI top order. Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder, B. J. Watling and Ross Taylor are all part of the Test squad.
“I think some aren’t good enough. I think some think they are better than they are and the third one, I think, is the mind. We’ve got to get our mind right and sometimes that requires patience, sometimes it requires being aggressive,” Greatbatch had said
“What it requires is actually sorting out the cricket smarts and weighing up the situation that you’re playing in an we’ve got some work to do in all those areas,” he added.
New Zealand’s Test squad has little time to prepare in India, with no warm-up match before the first of three Tests starting in Ahmedabad on Thursday. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'