Lahore, Oct. 22: Pakistan cricket team coach and former Australian fast bowler Geoff Lawson has said it would be nice if the Pakistan Cricket Board told him that he was no longer needed.
Reacting to a report in The Age that quoted newly appointed PCB chairman, Ijaz Butt, as saying this week that the PCB had "no utility" for Lawson beyond April (2009), Lawson said that it would be nice he was told in advance, rather than at the last moment.
Lawson has insisted it was "business as usual" until he heard something official, as no one from the PCB had informed him of its decision.
"(Being told) would be nice. I haven''t had any correspondence from him (Butt) whatsoever, not even a request for a meeting."
Lawson did not seem surprised by the lack of communication - "this is Pakistan" - but said he had enjoyed a healthy relationship with Butt''s predecessor Nasim Ashraf, who had discussed keeping the Australian at the helm until the 2011 World Cup.
Butt said last month he was unhappy with Lawson''s performance.
Under Lawson''s stewardship, Pakistan lost Test series to South Africa and India last year (both 1-0) and reached the final of the inaugural Twenty20 world championship.
They have not played a Test in 2008 but have a strong record in one-day matches, although they failed to reach the final of the Asian Cup.
"We''ve got the best record in world cricket in one-day internationals and we''re 21 (wins) and nine (defeats) since I''ve taken over," Lawson said.
"We''re getting the job done, we''re getting places with a young team."
Lawson said he was focused on coaching the national side to three one-dayers against the West Indies in Abu Dhabi next month, and then preparing for a visit by India in 2009. (ANI)
- Nicole Scherzinger reveals new album was like 'therapy'
- 'Avatar 2' to begin casting in LA, Wellington soon
- 'Busy' Brad Pitt owes buddy George Clooney 'wedding present'
- Amal Clooney is funny, 'supremely' self-confident in real life
- 'Bigg Boss' has made me a household name: Andy
- Officially divorced Heidi Klum gushes about new beau
- Archie Panjabi to quit 'The Good Wife' for new 20th Century Fox TV pilot
- Kourtney Kardashian expecting 'baby girl'