Former Argentina coach Pekerman to take charge of Colombia
Submitted by Keval Sharma on Sat, 01/07/2012 - 09:45
Bogota (Colombia), Jan 7 - Former Argentina coach Jose Pekerman has been chosen to coach Colombia's national team, local football authorities have confirmed.
Pekerman, who coached Argentina between 2004 and 2006, has signed a contract with Colombia until the end of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, Xinhua reported Friday.
Colombia appeared to be doing well under Hernan Dario Gomez, but he had to step down in late August in the wake of a scandal that involved him beating up a woman in public.
Leonel Alvarez was then appointed national team coach, but he was sacked in early December after the team got just four points in three World Cup qualifying matches.
Colombia have not played at a World Cup since 1998.(IANS)
- Amanda Seyfried thinks 'life is too short' for stringent diets
- Supermodel Petra Nemcova unveiled as new face of 'Ultimo'
- Was New Bond girl's sex scene with co-star's hubby behind marriage split?
- Mila Kunis debuts svelte post-baby bod, says 'breastfeeding is great workout'
- 'Delighted' Zoe Saldana welcomes twins with hubby
- Simon Cowell slams Lily Allen's corruption blast
- Amy Schumer to host MTV Movie Awards 2015
- Arjun Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha promotes 'Tevar' at Radio Mirchi Studios in Mumbai