Nyon, Switzerland - Spanish singer Enrique Iglesias is set to become the official voice of Euro 2008 with the song Can You Hear Me.
It is likely the song will become the anthem of the whole tournament and the singer was described as the ideal person for the job in a statement issued by UEFA from its Nyon headquarters Tuesday.
"He is an international star who is passionate about football and who has European roots," said commercial director Philippe Margraff.
Iglesias along with Steve Morales and Frankie Storm wrote the song that he will now perform at the closing game in Vienna on June 29.
The singer who has already sold 40 million records was said to be delighted to take part in event.
Other Euro 2008 songs have already been released. The competition mascots Trix and Flix feature in two records by Jamaican rap-reggae star Shaggy with a third due to be released before the kick off on June 7.
However it is Iglesias' song that is expected to get the fans going and become the Euro 2008 anthem they will remember. (dpa)
- Cristiano Ronaldo wishes Irina Shayk 'greatest happiness' post split and amid new love rumors
- Naomi Watts to be honored with Costume Designers Guild's Spotlight award
- Akshay Kumar promotes 'Baby' in New Delhi
- Pregnant Kate Middleton reveals baby's 'moving all the time'
- Shakira poses with baby bump for UNICEF World Baby Shower
- Jennifer Aniston proclaims herself No. 1 'Oscar snub'
- Joanne Froggatt heading to LA amid fears 'Downton Abbey' role may end soon
- Kussh Sinha’s wedding reception today