Nyon, Switzerland - Spanish singer Enrique Iglesias is set to become the official voice of Euro 2008 with the song Can You Hear Me.
It is likely the song will become the anthem of the whole tournament and the singer was described as the ideal person for the job in a statement issued by UEFA from its Nyon headquarters Tuesday.
"He is an international star who is passionate about football and who has European roots," said commercial director Philippe Margraff.
Iglesias along with Steve Morales and Frankie Storm wrote the song that he will now perform at the closing game in Vienna on June 29.
The singer who has already sold 40 million records was said to be delighted to take part in event.
Other Euro 2008 songs have already been released. The competition mascots Trix and Flix feature in two records by Jamaican rap-reggae star Shaggy with a third due to be released before the kick off on June 7.
However it is Iglesias' song that is expected to get the fans going and become the Euro 2008 anthem they will remember. (dpa)
- Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett reckons trusting kids is best parenting
- Matt Damon in talks to star in 'The Great Wall'
- Clooney to wed in custom Giorgio Armani tux
- KBC gets its first 7 crore winner in two brothers
- Liv Tyler doesn't want to know baby's sex?
- Kendall Jenner thinks sis KimK's naked GQ cover was ' really embarrassing'
- How Kaley Cuoco `joked way out` of nude snap leak embarrassment
- Angelina Jolie to helm Richard Leakey biopic 'Africa'