London, June 13 : Dutch midfielder Rafael Vander Vaart has taken a dig at arch rivals Germany ahead of their crucial Euro Cup showdown, saying that they only have three world-class players.
Van Der Vaart said only Mesut Ozil, Mario Gotze and Bastian Schweinsteiger are the potential match winners in the German side, whereas the Netherlands side is a more complete team.
Netherlands need a result in Wednesday's Group B showdown against the Germans in Kharkiv to keep their tournament hopes alive, after a shock 1-0 defeat by Denmark in their opening match.
Tournament favourites Germany beat Netherlands 3-0 in a friendly last November, but Van der Vaart claimed it was just an accident as the Dutch were missing their best players.
"That was an accident. We were missing three of our best players," The Daily Star quoted Van Der Vaart, as saying.
"Germany have a decent squad, but if I have to name their genuinely good players I can only come up with three - Mesut Ozil, Mario Gotze and Bastian Schweinsteiger. Their defending is okay, but nothing more than that. Football is all about confidence, and they have plenty of that," he added.
"But when it comes to playing proper football, we are more at home than they are. We must be capable of hurting them," he said. (ANI)
- Hodgson calls Rooney England’s ‘ace in the hole’ over dearth of attacking guile
- ‘Poignant’ Capello reveals pain over exiting his ‘part of heart’ England
- ‘Gloomy’ Flower hopes KP doesn’t regret choice to quit ODIs, T20s in future
- Becks takes sons for LA Kings match in LA
- Bell looks to fill in Pietersen’s boots on England ODI return