Melbourne, Dec 31 : Australia''s coach Tim Nielsen has said Michael Clarke is a natural leader and will smash doubts about his leadership credentials.
Former Test great Steve Waugh noted a perceived indifference towards Clarke as successor to injured Ricky Ponting, also floating new vice-captain Brad Haddin and Tim Paine as the men to take Australia forward from Ponting.
"Michael is a natural leader. He is a person who grabs people through his own performance, presents himself and drags people along with him. I am certain that is one of the major reasons he has been appointed captain of Australia while Ricky is not playing," Nielsen said.
"We understand the character and leadership ability he has. His opportunity now is not to prove people wrong but prove to people he can take on this role, do it in a positive light. I think over the next few weeks people will see a different Michael Clarke," he said.
Nielsen backed Clarke to lead by example as Ponting has in steering Australia to a Test record 48 wins, Fox Sports reports.
No untested leader enjoys public acceptance until they''''ve proved themselves in battle, Nielsen argued. (ANI)
- Oz players should be contractually bound to play in Sheffield Shield: Jones
- Ponting survives axe, CA endorses him as skipper
- Saker hails Anderson as world’s best fast bowler
- Flower says England not satisfied, wants series victory in fifth Ashes Test
- Strauss urges mates to aim for ''The Holy Grail’ of English cricket