Melbourne, Jan 2 : Stand-in captain Michael Clarke is determined to take control of the team in the final Ashes Test at the SCG.
There will surely be surprises awaiting Clarke too across his first Test in charge, for while Ricky Ponting will remain a visible presence around the Australian rooms as he is treated for fractured finger, FOX Sports reports.
"Yeah it is (my team). Ricky's made that very clear, that all the decisions that are made will come from the people, the selectors firstly, to pick the team. But once I take that field, they will come from me," Clarke said.
Clarke said he discussed with Ponting the potentially awkward situation of having the injured skipper around the dressing room for the fifth Ashes Test.
In the end it was decided Ponting's experience would be an asset to not only Clarke but also other members of the squad.
"I think you've already seen at training the last couple of days he's had a chance to help all the guys that have gone to him and asked for help. For me, personally he's again helping me with my batting. He consistently does that and this has been a great chance for me to get some help," Clarke said.
"Ricky being around throughout this Test match is a great thing for all the players but especially for me to have this chance to be captain. I can run things by him and I think it's pretty important for the team to have him around," he said. (ANI)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish