Rio de Janeiro, Feb 18 - Amidst widespread rumours of Ricardo Teixeira stepping down as president of the Brazilian Confederation of Soccer (CBF), soccer legend Bebeto was named in Brazil's Local Organising Committee for the 2014 World Cup.
Bebeto was a member of Brazil's 1994 World Cup winning team as well as the 1998 World Cup when Brazil lost to France in the final.
The soccer icon turned congressman will now have the duty of overseeing a successful World Cup on his own soil. Bebeto will join Ronaldo on the Local Organising Committee.
Both former soccer stars played together during the 1994 and 1998 World Cup. Bebeto's appointment is an attempt to diverge attention from alleged scandals of corruption by Teixeira, Xinhua reported Saturday.
Teixeira recently stated that he is tired of all the accusations made by the Brazilian public and is considering leaving the country. Teixeira is expected to resign as the president of the CBF as well as from his seat in the Local Organising Committee.
He previously stated that he would step down only after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. A strong candidate to replace Teixeira is Corinthians' former club president Andres Sanchez.
Along with Ronaldo and Brazil's minister of sports Aldo Rebelo, Bebeto will escort FIFA's secretary general Jerome Valcke during his regular inspections on Brazil's progress in preparation for the 2014 World Cup.(IANS)
- Raveena Tandon unveils latest issue of Savvy magazine in Mumbai
- Demi Lovato enjoys role model status
- Britney Spears admits to getting new beau
- Cara Delevingne earns 6,500 pounds per day!
- Rachel Bilson welcomes baby girl with beau Hayden Christensen
- Stephen Fry quits Twitter over safety concerns
- Singer sues Beyonce for $3m for ripping off song
- Robert Downey Jr. welcomes baby girl with wife Susan