Rio de Janeiro, Feb 18 - Amidst widespread rumours of Ricardo Teixeira stepping down as president of the Brazilian Confederation of Soccer (CBF), soccer legend Bebeto was named in Brazil's Local Organising Committee for the 2014 World Cup.
Bebeto was a member of Brazil's 1994 World Cup winning team as well as the 1998 World Cup when Brazil lost to France in the final.
The soccer icon turned congressman will now have the duty of overseeing a successful World Cup on his own soil. Bebeto will join Ronaldo on the Local Organising Committee.
Both former soccer stars played together during the 1994 and 1998 World Cup. Bebeto's appointment is an attempt to diverge attention from alleged scandals of corruption by Teixeira, Xinhua reported Saturday.
Teixeira recently stated that he is tired of all the accusations made by the Brazilian public and is considering leaving the country. Teixeira is expected to resign as the president of the CBF as well as from his seat in the Local Organising Committee.
He previously stated that he would step down only after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. A strong candidate to replace Teixeira is Corinthians' former club president Andres Sanchez.
Along with Ronaldo and Brazil's minister of sports Aldo Rebelo, Bebeto will escort FIFA's secretary general Jerome Valcke during his regular inspections on Brazil's progress in preparation for the 2014 World Cup.(IANS)
- Shah Rukh Khan`s HNY now available online
- Ringo Starr, Paul Mc Cartney lead heartfelt tributes to singer Joe Cocker
- Sofia Vergara will do anything to stay young
- Stacy Keibler credits strict workout routine and healthy diet for losing baby weight
- Is Leona Lewis' beau planning to pop the question on Christmas?
- Paul McCartney to write a song on Eric Garner protest
- Kourtney K names new newborn son Reign Aston Disick
- Elton John finally marries long-time partner David Furnish