Southampton (UK), June 28 : The Australian women''s cricket team suffered a 16-run defeat to England in the final of the quadrangular Twenty20 series at The Rose Bowl on Monday.
Player-of-the-match Lydia Greenway impressed for the hosts with 48 not out as England set a total of 9-132 as they sought to maintain their perfect record in the competition.
Although Alex Blackwell and Lisa Sthalekar put on 72 for the fifth wicket, Australia were always behind the run-rate, finishing on 8-116.
England captain Charlotte Edwards said: "It''s been a great day, I''m really proud of the team, we''ve all worked hard for this. We have a great mix of players in the squad at the moment, some of the youngsters are really stepping up to the mark and everyone has contributed to the success."
Earlier India beat New Zealand by three wickets in the play-off for third place at Aldershot. (ANI)
- India crush New Zealand to finish third in women’s quadrangular Twenty20 series
- Wimbledon: Bhupathi, Paes in third round mixed doubles
- Injury threatens Nadal’s Wimbledon title bid
- David Haye aims for Hollywood stardom after hanging up his gloves
- Trade union background helps me produce results for Man U: Ferguson